Staff Online
Members2390
Most Online179
Newest Member
https://hackgh.forumotion.com/u2487

You are not connected. Please login or register

Richard Commey tipped for greatness

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Richard Commey tipped for greatness Empty Richard Commey tipped for greatness Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:43 am

MherlynEmhr3z

MherlynEmhr3z
Support Moderator
Support Moderator
Experienced boxing administrator Yoofi Boham has tipped the new Commonwealth Lightweight Champion, Richard Commey, to claim a world title in the year 2015.

He made the prediction yesterday when he accompanied Commey and his trainer, Carl Lokko, to the offices of Daily Graphic in Accra.

Commey claimed the vacant title with a unanimous points victory over Welshman Gary Buckland at the York Hall in Bethnal Green, London, on July 13.

The boxing manager and promoter was optimistic that despite many setbacks suffered by Ghanaian boxers who failed to advance past the Commonwealth crown for a shot at the world title, young Commey had talent, self-motivation and mental toughness to work his way to the top of his division by the end of next year.

“Commey is one or two fights away from a world title shot and by the close of the year 2015, he will be a world champion. His management team must work hard to get him the opportunities, and he will deliver the title for Ghanaians”.

“It is very difficult for a boxer with the outstanding record that Commey has to get a world title fight because all prospective opponents are scared to lose.

He has fought 18 times and won 17 by knockouts; this record sends shivers down the spine of fighters in the lightweight division all across the world,” said Mr Boham, who once managed former WBA Welterweight Champion Ike “Bazooka” Quartey, and onetime WBO Bantamweight Titlist, Alfred "Cobra" Kotey.

Commey, 27, who is also the current IBF Africa Continental Champion and ABU Lightweight Champion, said he was unperturbed about losing his 100 per cent knockout record and praised his vanquished opponent, Buckland, for his resilience in the title fight.

“Records are meant to be broken and I never went to the United Kingdom with a promise to knock out Buckland. I gave a promise to win the title, and I delivered it.

My previous opponent in the final eliminator, Paul Truscott, offered me a tougher fight, but with Buckland he just kept coming even though I hit him with three heavy blows during the fight, but he never gave up,” said a confident-looking Commey.

“Honestly, in terms of an offence, I expected better from Buckland Prior to the fight I watched his tapes and had sleepless nights but my coach kept reassuring me and thankfully, he was right”.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum