https://hackgh.forumotion.com/u2487

You are not connected. Please login or register

God's Amazing Gift

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1God's Amazing Gift Empty God's Amazing Gift Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:44 am

chief_hackist

chief_hackist
Active Newbie

In July 2007, my son made a casual remark to me that I should blog. I remember laughing at the idea. Me? Blog? I'd heard the term "blog" but that was about it. I had never even read a blog let alone write one. Oh, I had been the administrator for a family/genealogy website since 2002 and would write little articles of interest to my family (my mother is one of eight) as well as my genealogical research but that was it. Though I laughed at the comment and said, "What on earth would I blog about and who would ever want to read it?" I became aware of a strange little nudge.

I didn't know anything about blogging but I did know one thing. I had heard that it was a jungle out there in cyberspace. People could jump in and rip people to shreds faster than... well... you know what I mean. While I love a good discussion or even debate, that sort of nastiness did not appeal to me in the least. It got me to thinking though. Was there a site where Christians could write about the things that were important to them? Was there a place where they could read one another's blog and while they might not always agree, they could discuss them and learn from one another?

I had been doing genealogical research on the internet for about 10 years. That wasn't an easy feat when you considered that my maternal grandfather was an orphan train rider and I knew very little about my father's family as both his parents had died before my parents had married and his only sibling had a habit of vanishing for years. Still, I had managed to uncover a great deal of information and so I figured if there were any Christian blogging sites, I would find them. I was right.

I joined CB on this date in 2007. I came for the same reasons a lot of people do. I wanted to write and share what I had written with others. I liked what I saw and became a paying member less than a week later. Interestingly enough though, while that might have been the reason I came to CB, it was not the reason I stayed and perhaps that is why I have been here and remained consistently active for seven years.

I had blogged a bit during the late summer of 2007 and then I pretty much stopped. I was teaching second grade and once school started again after Labor Day, life got extremely busy. I posted a couple of blogs that fall but not many. Then I got cancer and I found myself heading back to CB. It was a timely move because my world was suddenly becoming smaller and smaller. In fact, during treatment CB became one of my primary links to the outside world.

I did not want to blog about cancer. I did not want to blog about the emotions I was experiencing nor think about my questions or fears. God had other ideas however. I could either do things His way or attempt to do things my way and I realized that I would be very foolish to do things my way.

When we are obedient to God, we get far more than we ever bargained for. I came to bless and encourage others and instead, I was the one who got blessed and encouraged. God has introduced me to so many amazing people and I have learned so much from them that I realized that God's primary reason for bringing me to CB wasn't for others. It was for me. It was His gift to me. I came to give but instead... I received.

So on my 7th CB anniversary I would like to say thank you. First and foremost, I want to thank God for bringing me to CB but secondly, I would also like to thank the members of CB for their love, friendship and prayers over the years. You are making a difference in the lives of people, whether you see it or not.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum