Free counters!
Staff Online
Staff Online
Members2390
Most Online179
Newest Member
https://hackgh.forumotion.com/u2487

You are not connected. Please login or register

How does a child learn how to be "good"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How does a child learn how to be "good"? Empty How does a child learn how to be "good"? Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:08 pm

chief_hackist

chief_hackist
Active Newbie
Why is it so difficult to say please, thank you, excuse me and other things that are in the category of manners? With each passing year, there are fewer and fewer people willing to take the time and put forth the effort to be courteous, friendly or helpful. People are so caught up in their own little world that they have no time or are oblivious to what is going on around them.

Engrained in me are things such as opening the door for someone (male or female, young or old etc), respecting the feelings of someone else so as to not trample them because I am in a hurry or uninterested in what they are saying and other traits associated with being respectful of another person. Many days I must carry a tub with packages to the post office to mail. The number of people willing to open and hold the door for me is less than 50%. That means the majority of people have no interest in doing something that a generation ago was done by just about everyone.

When I was a Boy Scout many decades ago, I remember vividly the solemn oath we were required to make which was:

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my Country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

Right there in the third line is are the words “to help other people at all times” . Anyone who grew up a Boy Scout learned the value to doing your best for God and country, helping others and keeping yourself together physically, mentally and morally. Additionally, the Boy Scouts have a law which is:

A Scout is: Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

Notice how many of these “laws” deal with other people. Things like being helpful, friendly, courteous and kind specifically deal with the ability “to help other people at all times” . In other words, a Boy Scout is taught to be an upright person who gladly strives to be their best for God and others.

Kids have to be taught (somewhere by someone) how to be the 12 things mentioned in the Scout Law. Long ago schools taught kids to be trustworthy etc, but no longer is that a priority. Once upon a time churches taught kids these things. Some still do this, but many do not.

Unless a child gets involved with scouting or similar activities, the only other way for them to learn how to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful etc is from their parents. Some parents are very good at teaching their children these things, but unfortunately many parents are too tired, lazy or uninstructed themselves to teach their kids how to be “good” .

I would be lying if I said it does not bother me to see kids run wild in the store, talking back to parents and other adults, only interested in themselves etc. All I can think of is that one of these days those kids will grow up and carry what they learned (or didn't learn) as a child into their adult years. From what I see, that could be really scary scenario

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum